Baby Sign classes now in HD8…
Lilypad Baby are delighted to be offering Baby Sign classes at a private residence in Scissett, Huddersfield. Our classes are held on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons at 1.30pm at £5 a class. (We can sometimes run a morning class if demand is required.)
What are the benefits of Baby Signing?
- Empowers babies to communicate earlier: Having the skills to communicate early is important for a child to make choices and make their needs known.
- Boosts self-esteem: Feeling valued and understood can greatly improve self-esteem. When a baby uses signs and is rewarded, for example he signs milk and then is given his bottle of milk, he realises that what he has communicated has been understood and using the communication has been worthwhile.
- Reduces frustrations: Signing can significantly increase the number of words a child can produce, which expands the topics you can talk about and reduces frustration for both child and adult. Successful communication can also decrease undesirable behaviours like, tantrums and aggression.
- Complements language skills and speech development: Many people have the misconception that using sign language may delay or interfere with their child’s verbal language. Research has found that the opposite is true and that signing can actually accelerate language and speech development. Signing reinforces verbal language as it adds a visual and kinaesthetic emphasis to auditory input.
- Enhances bonding and interaction: Signing with your baby requires a great deal of eye contact; babies will feel they are receiving the parent’s full attention. As using sign language can aid early communication, it can help adults have a better understanding of what children are thinking at an earlier age. This can lead to better bonding between children and adults in their lives.
- Parents understand what child wants/needs: A whole new insight into the baby’s world, as the baby can communicate through signs what he wants, or sees, or feels or needs.
- Teaching parents songs and rhymes: Particularly with a first child, many parents do not know which songs or rhymes to sing to their baby. By attending baby signing classes, parents will be able to learn new songs/rhymes, boosting their own confidence and self-esteem.